It was a spectacular victory at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow as France and Croatia battled for the trophy.
From the hugs of the Croatia president to the dramatic jump of the French president in jubilation, it was a beautiful moment of world unity as fans looked on to see who would clinch the trophy.
Among the team were France’s Kylian Mbappe and Croatia’s Luka Modric. They appeared for the first time yet had their presence felt.
Here are the top five fascinating facts about Mbappe and Modric:
Kylian Mbappe- Best Young Player
- Mbappe who plays as the number 10 at the France national team has Nigerian roots. His middle name is Adesanmi. His father, Wilfried, is half Cameroonian and half Nigerian.
- At age 19, Mbappe is not only the second most expensive player, he has also become the second youngest player to score in a knockout and the World Cup Final after Pele of Brazil.
- Mbappe is a big fan of tennis, a game he plays well.
- Former Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, went to his home to talk him into playing for the Gunners.
- According to L’Équipe newspaper, Mbappe’s funds from the World Cup will be donated to Premiers de Cordée, a charity which helps children with disabilities play sports.
Luka Modrić – Golden Ball Trophy
- The 32-year-old was born in Modrici, plural for Modric.
- He was denied a spot in Hajduk Split football team because he didn’t look physically fit for football.
- He is one of the most decorated players in Croatia.
- To celebrate World Refugee Day, he was listed in the Euro 2016 Refugee XI alongside other players by FARE, the anti-discriminatory football network. He experienced the Croatia War of Independence, which saw him witness the murder of his grandfather.
- He has four UEFA Champions League titles in his bag.