The Opposition NDC has outlined 10 reasons why they believe the 2020 elections was poorly conducted and deliberately manipulated to favor Nana Akufo-Addo.
In a Press Conference held last week, the NDC’s Director of Elections, Elvis Afriyie-Ankrah accused the EC Chair, Madam Jean Mensa of supervising the worst election in Ghana’s democratic history.
The Party outlined the following 10 reasons as the basis for their description of the 2020 elections as the worst:
- According to the NDC, the dubious handling of the printing and distribution of ballot papers led to the ballot stuffing in favour of the NPP in their strongholds.
- Secondly, the NDC believes that the unprecedented incidence of rejected ballots in the 2020 elections is because of the EC’s decision to use unapproved stamp pads instead of the regular voting ink.
- The use of illegal statement of polls/pink sheets (form 8b) undermined the integrity of the entire results.
- Widespread incidences of arithmetic errors by incompetent EC staff in the filling of summary sheets and computation of results.
- This, according to the NDC, resulted in a disparity between the sum of the constituency collated results and the National collated results.
- The NDC also claims that there was a suspicious occurrence of vote padding in various constituencies in favor of the NPP.
- There was no proper collation by the Returning Officer for the Presidential Election, Madam Jean Mensa.
- Unprecedented cases of state-sponsored brutalities and killings at collation centers.
- The European Union Observer mission is on record to have bemoaned the lack of transparency in collating results.
- Contrary to claims by the EC that it saved a whopping 90 million dollars in the 2020 elections, facts show that they actually cost the state by engaging in avoidable procurement.