Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) has been closed down indefinitely, following riot which began over the weekend.
The decision to close the university was taken after a meeting between school authorities and the Ashanti Regional Security Council (REGSEC).
The Regional Minister, Simon Osei-Mensah told journalist that after the REGSEC meeting that a curfew had been put in place effective 6:00pm Monday.
According to him, from 6:00am to 12:00 noon Tuesday, all students “including student leaders” should vacate the campus premises.
Only foreign students are spared. A single hostel which will be protected by security will be provided for them, he added.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Education, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh will meet with the school authorities on Tuesday.
He will lead a government delegation to the Kumasi-based public university, a statement released by the Ministry said.
“The Ministry of Education has noted with concern developments on the campus of the KNUST in Kumasi, particularly with regard to bodily injuries and the detention of some students as well as the destruction of public property,” the statement added.
“The Ministry appeals for calm on all sides as a first step to resolving the difficulties,” it stated.